Tuesday, May 15, 2012

walk 15: saint-ouen's labyrinth, navigating the world's largest flea market

monday may 7
I was so excited to do this walk, I had been looking forward to shopping the flea market since I got to Paris! I was on the lookout for some awesome antique frames for all the pictures I will be printing. Our walk book says we should try not to stand out as tourists in the flea markets, so I tried to blend in as best I could (which means no pictures, sorry!). I broke off from the group for a little and just wandered through the shops on my own, browsing through antique knick knacks and chatting to the owners in french about the different kinds of frames that they had. It was such a cool experience and definitely great practice for my french! One lady even asked if I was French :)  I wasn't brave enough to try to haggle this time but I found some great deals!

Here's what I got.
 
Tips for shopping the marche aux puces:
-go on Saturday, Sunday or Monday, between 9am and 6pm.
-Take line 4 and get off at Porte de Clignancourt. Head North on Avenue de la Porte de Clignancourt.
-Pass under the freeway, turn left on Rue des Rosiers.
-Find an alley and explore.
-Be very polite and try to only speak French.

No comments:

Post a Comment