Thursday, May 31, 2012

walk 14: 18th century lifestyles of the rich and famous

wednesday may 16.
after the jewish quarter walk melissa and i decided to get another one done since it wasn't too late in the afternoon. neither of us had done the one titled '18th century lifestyles of the rich and famous:musee jacquemart-andre, the musee nissim de camondo and the parc monceau.'

 The walk took us to the Musee Jacquemart-Andre first. It once was the home of a wealthy man who collected works of art, especially Italian art, along with his wife, who was a painter. He collected furniture and objects from the 18th century to decorate his home. We got to walk through the home and see the different rooms as well as an egyptian exhibit going on at the same time. I think we were already burned out on museums by then and we were mad that we had to pay 9.50 euros to get in, so we weren't too crazy about it. There were no photos allowed but I snuck a couple..

I didn't get to take any pictures in the egyptian exhibit but this is the poster for it.
I still remember my favorite thing I saw in the Egyptian exhibit. It was an old man with his hair dyed hot pink. Made my day.

A taste of the decoration in the home.

i liked the floors and the old sheet music.
We left a little disappointed and feeling completely ripped off. I took a look at the guest book on the way out and it seems like we weren't the only ones who thought that way.
Back out on the street the walk book told us to note the ironwork along the way. I totally thought of my mom.


Next we walked to the Parc Monceau, a huge park built in the 18th century. The first entrance we tried was locked up, and once we got in there were a ton of park benches turned on its side like the one below. I don't know what happened but once we walked into the park a little bit it was much nicer. I just love being in the outdoors, especially in Paris where everything is so urban. This park was adorable too, there was a carousel and duck ponds and horseback rides and playgrounds and roller skating tracks and huge patches of grass to picnic on. And there were people there of all ages enjoying it together.



Of course I loved the carousel. I love how many there are in Paris. This one was cool because each panel (they are actually called crestings) had an illustration of a different Jules Verne story and along with horses you could ride in a submarine, airplane or even on a giraffe. It was cute.


 There was also a little group of kids riding ponies. I think Melissa and I were a little jealous.

 There were several neoclassical structures randomly scattered through the park. They look like ruins and were actually built to look that way in the 19th century. It was a nice, peaceful place and fun to be around so many kids.


 The walk took us next to Musee Nissim de Camondo. We walked in right before it closed so we decided it wasn't going to be worth the expensive admission price to only see it for a few minutes. Here is the outside though:


 We ended the day with some gelato at Amorino. It was my first time there and wow it was amazing. Even the vanilla flavor is to die for. I may be getting fat but I do not regret a minute of it.
xoxo Heather.




No comments:

Post a Comment