Monday, May 28, 2012

memorial day.

Monday May 28, 2012

I am going to go a little bit out of order and post about what we did today rather than waiting until I get caught up on all the other posts. Today was our first day in Normandy, it also just happened to be Memorial Day in the US. Usually on Memorial Day I think about getting the day off of school and going to the beach, having a barbeque, and kicking off the summer. But today, as I walked through the American Cemetery in Normandy, overlooking the beaches were so many young soldiers were killed defending our country, I really thought about what it means to be brave. I know that there is no way I would ever be able to do what they did. And its not that I wouldn't be willing to die for something I believe in, I at least like to think that I would. However, I am so terrified of war and violence, I know that there is no way I would have been able to fight back. I would have surrendered and let them kill me before I would pick up a gun and start shooting, even if it was for the greater good. The more I thought about this, the more gratitude I felt for those soldiers who did not back down, even as they watched their friends get killed all around them. It is because they were brave enough to fight back in defense of their country that we are able to enjoy so many freedoms today. Although I was not in the US for Memorial Day, I have never felt so much love for my country as I did today. God Bless America.






1 comment:

  1. Could you believe the huge bomb craters on the top of the cliffs? Before I saw those, I didn't realize how much damage shelling did. In war, everyone loses. Maybe someday we'll learn to fight with words rather than weapons.
    What a great day to be able to be there, and to remember those who have fought for our freedom. We are so blessed to be Americans!

    ReplyDelete