Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Balsamic Caramel French Toast

I wanted to make something special for my mom for Mother's Day so I chose this recipe from my French Toast cookbook that I got in Paris. She loved it! However because I had to get everything done in time for church at 9am and my memory card was almost full from a wedding the night before, I didn't get to take a ton of pictures.



Pain Perdu au caramel balsamique (Balsamic Caramel French Toast)
serves 5-6

Ingredients:
12 slices of sourdough bread
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
8 Tablespoons butter

For the caramel:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons pine nuts

Directions:
 1. Prepare the caramel: In a saucepan, mix sugar with 2 Tablespoons of water. Heat, stirring, until the mixture reaches a beautiful golden color. Add the balsamic vinegar and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Add the cream to the caramel and stir. When the mixture once again reaches a boil, remove from heat, mix in the pine nuts and set aside.
3. Prepare the French toast by dipping the slices of bread in mixture of beaten eggs and milk, then cook them in the melted butter (about 2 Tablespoons for every 3 slices of bread). Drizzle with caramel and serve.


Bon Appétit!



No comments:

Post a Comment